I oppose the Comprehensive Immigration Reform in its current form rewarding law breaking while evaporating ways to legally immigrate!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My fight for immigration reform






[Valid RSS]

Add to My Yahoo!

immigration.newsvine.com

The following part of my fight appeared online by Feb 21.:


news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=17cb1f0c5e2ee248a71bd31df832fcaa


Give H1-B Visa Holders a Life

New America Media, Commentary, Dirk Krueger, Posted: Feb 12, 2007

Editor’s Note: A German scientist lost more than his visa when his job ran out; he lost his family as well. Dr. Dirk Krueger, who was last with the Department of Soil Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, is a member of Immigration Voice. IMMIGRATION MATTERS regularly features the views of the nation's leading immigrant rights groups and advocates.

MADISON, Wisc. -- I am a new dad who has lost much in divorce. It is still hard to talk about, but this March I will move back to my home country, Germany, after nine years in America, with far less than what I came with. My daughter and my dreams are staying behind.

Born and raised in Communist East Germany, I came to the United States in 1998 to pursue a Ph.D. I came to respect this country and made new friends. I held an open mind about whether to stay or return to Germany after receiving my doctorate degree. Midway through graduate school, I met another German citizen and fellow scientist in the U.S., fell in love with her, and we were later married.

My partner moved first to the new town where I had been promised a post-doc position. Her own prior post-doc job had given her a very good position in a promising biotech company. We both felt at home in this town. My wife wanted a good life after having worked so hard for her own Ph.D., and we bought a house. Her company arranged her Green Card process to be initiated. ...

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 21, 2007 at 15:46:14 said:

Dear Readers -

first I would like to thank ImmigrationVoice and NAM for the opportunity to have this story out. And to ImmigrationVoice that I support their efforts in general, and wish not to focus just on my own problems.

I myself need not win over all Americans' opinion on this issue, as this is a democracy. There will always, in any country, be people opposed to aliens. It is enough to show how important this issue is to me, and to politicians willing to listen.

Concluding, the US may opt to adopt a closed border for all aliens for the future and see what it leads to. The current restrictive ways to legally immigrate, including to legally immigrate for family reunion, are already shameful enough. What the US can't do is undo the harm already done to their citzens, as well as immigrants, by this mess. The restrictions on legal immigration are probably already a nod to immigration opponents. People who came legally to this country and their lifes are in chaos because of the unfortunate effects of a mix of capitalist greed and bowing to the angry will of the people. When I came, no American has shown evil will against me, and I always felt welcome as long as I didn't demand anything like now.

Aaron mentioned there are companies who hire H1B to unite one employee's family (which my ex' company would not do, wouldn't even hire any spouses in general). While not quite legal and with loopholes, this again only highlights the messy situation where there just is no way to immigrate to the US anymore any other way.

I hope immigration reform can be balanced and fair for all currently involved.

Dirk

---

Pumpi and John -

I thank you for your recent supportive postings. Indeed I was somewhat shocked by some of the remarks before. Should stop going back and forth about it at this place, but your messages prompted me to post one more.

There is this notion in Mr Sanchez' messages that neither Germany nor the US shall pay for my personal mistakes. I think this calls for some explanation here.

As it stands now, the US is not paying for anything here. My child, a citizen, is lawfully atmitted to the US alongside my ex spouse, no matter how sad this makes me myself. My ex spouse is paying taxes, and I will pay child support, at a level I can afford given German regulations and conditions. Right now, no other American suffers here. My daughter will not know me, will meet me even less than the children of soldiers that volunteered into the position to be sent to Iraq (of course, as long as those parents live). My ex is legally here and professes to want to follow through all the way to citizenship, no matter how dreadful H1B opponents think her own H1B status is. She also pays her taxes here. Her company is no mass importer of H1Bs.

As I have clearly stated, I did not father a child to have an anchor baby. I would perhaps not even want if I am 70 and she might want to sponsor me here - besides, I might long be forgotten or despised then. I want a fair chance to be here nearby and support her now as she can benefit from having such relationship to her dad.

Any father involuntarily divorced and losing everything (yes, incl. losing my ability to stay here I have foressen with the divorce) should understand me. I want more than just being a paying phantom. Such is hard enough even when one lives in the same country.

I admit making mistakes, like anyone in life. Taking a career path where even in good times perhaps 1 in a 100 will end up with a permanent position in that field. Marrying a compatriot from my own country rather than an American, or staying single. BTW, marrying an American could have led to the same ugly end, even without considering sham marriages - parents do get deported when citizen spouses die or divorce them. Then when 6 times there was no more money to keep employed, and my frantic trying to switch into a corporate job failed - instead of desperately trying to stay here with my family I should have given up. I endured not being able to see my country for years, endured accusations. My spouse would not want me to stay home as H4 dependent and end my own career for good, me being a lousy housekeeper, too. All this hassle because of my mistakes, under the regulations of the H1B. And now it was all for nothing. I have given the US the present of another fatherless child. The H1B is being indentured, indeed, even in academia. Everybody knows how difficult funding is. And a foreign postdoc can't apply for funds themselves. Germany for example was happy to see me go, they got enough unemployed scientists. And since I did my PhD in the US, and advanced into middle age, they wouldn't fund me for staying on here either. So when funding runs out, each time there is the loom of having to go back for real. H1B does not allow switching positions. Heck, it doesn't even allow just working if a new visa application is sent in too late to be approved by the time funding runs out for the last job, until the new application gets approved. Do I really want to get back into this, do it all over again now that I spend my last penny moving back, and that I have a temporary job in Germany? Risking to be homeless on the street at 65 because it all may repeat when I try again? I would not, unless there is some reform, or a really good chance at getting tenured. And then I would do so for my daughter only. After all that has happened, in that case I may think I deserve even citizenship then. But as you not easily offer that, I think I need not demand that really.

Again, thank you all for understanding.

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 16, 2007 at 04:24:11 said:

Dear Mr Sanchez

responding to your accusation of keeping my daughter in the US to retain her as an anchor:
untrue allegation. I would like nothing more then her being wherever I am. "Anchors" indeed work only for illegal immigrants which stay on in the US near their children and then get benefits through them. As I have clearly stated, I fight for my ability to be near, and against those who threaten to shut down all the doors.

"Your plea for the UN proposal for universal anchor baby rights is very alarming, especially since it’s the globalists who are pushing it."

Response: No, this is a fundamental human right! Not a ploy of some globalists in black helicopters! I am also carefully separating citizenship from work and visit rights for parents. That would preclude lots of benefits of citizenship. I will be fine with getting some responsibilities and don't have some of the benefits if needed.

"It is sad that you are being separated from your daughter but if the UN has their way the U.S. government would be responsible for your mistakes. That’s not fair to us!"

Response: Since your country (government) has allowed this for countless illegal foreigners, it is only fair to demand the same rights for all foreigners. Change the way for the future, but you can't undo the damage done already.

"Nobody seems concerned with children in the U.S. who are being shoved aside so that immigrant anchor babies can have welfare, educations, medical care etc. I have sympathy for your daughter but must question why you feel American citizens should pick up the tab instead of the German government."

Response: Parents (at the very least of legal status) pay taxes! Negotiate with Germany if Germany should pay for children of Germans in the US if in the future you will not give them citizenship anymore. The US would then have to do so for American children in Germany.

"The UN treaty called “Rights of the Child” should be nipped in the bud before it metastasizes in the U.S. Instead of kowtowing to UN mandates we need to insist that Congress needs to pass the "Citizenship Reform Act of 2007" (H.R. 133) to eliminate the baby anchor loophole."

Response: I knew that this is a common US attitude to the UN. Fine to get rid of citizenship with me for future international guests in the US. But you will still have to negotiate at least bilateral ways to deal with international divorces.

---



Dirk Krueger on Feb 15, 2007 at 15:28:22 said:

Dear all -

I do not want you to think that I hate the US. I hate certain aspects of its policies. And I am saying that I don't need citizenship for myself because I understand that might go too far. It really is about my daughter being supported and seen by her dad on a regular, affordable basis. It is not just about a job per se, of course I would need to make a living, and have some way to live when old. That is why I would not even necessarily ask for the benefits of citizenship. Not because I see the US only as a place to work because I am an evil globalist. As I have said before, I would gladly share responsibility, as I would have done post-9/11 - because I support this country in many other ways.

To all that want to get rid of all anchor baby laws - what do you mean by that? No more citizenship by birthright? That still means children growing up separated from family, and growing up in foreign countries were theu will have friends and allegiance to.

If I were to have a liberal work permit, I could work as a scientist anywhere without delay, or could work in a job below my education (perhaps for a while). I would be able to support and see my daughter, and save retirement money since I don't get such benefit in Germany anymore (unless the US would make bilateral agreements). I would not have voting rights though, so I can directly influence US policies. I would not necessarily always take away jobs from Americans. There are enough low-paying jobs, where these are plenty filled by "illegal aliens" already. I could go back and forth between two friendly nations, Germany and the US. So what would the US lose if they allow this to parents of citizens, and Germany vice-versa? That seems a fairer way dealing with globalization than having only the jobs move away. If I can't find another job within some specified time I would move back to Germany temporarily, obviously, but I would not have risked becoming illegal and deportable.

My daughter is primarily with her legaly admitted mom, so taking her with me would mean abduction from her mom (indeed, a terrible thing I would never contemplate) as well as doing a crime of international scale. Child abduction is a crime. And you probably would want a US citizen being abducted.

---



Dirk Krueger on Feb 15, 2007 at 10:59:10 said:

S.Barnes -

are you suggesting to accept fate only? Just because my crusade was prompted by my bad luck or lack of foresight? No, I am not that easily deterred by a seemingly impossible situation. It is people only who make laws. This is not natural law.

Dirk

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 15, 2007 at 10:49:45 said:

Dear Mr. Barnes
- oh yes, I am also fighting the US because fighting my ex is no good, almost easier fighting the US. Anyways, I am a custodial parent. I am talking about shared legal custody, which I have gotten by fighting only. I tried for 5 years to also perhaps leave academia if need be. Industry or tenure track is the only way to EB GC anyways. But I was just unlucky and wanted to stay with my ex / daughter. Anyways - I am fighting for my daughter now, not for myself.

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 15, 2007 at 10:45:09 said:

Dr. Nelson, and Mr(s) Barnes -

I agree with you that
a) many a country treats foreigners horribly
b) the situation in science was forseeable long ago

I reject the notion though that my ex spouse planned ahead better then me. She simply got lucky at the right time and the right spot to get a "stable" job outside academia, so that she could be (relatively well-paid) getting a Green Card that way. Understandably, a marriage between two scientists under all these circumstances was threatened from the get-go. However, I have the expertise to do as well work-wise in many ways, just wasn't that lucky.

You did not find my H1B details as I moved around from one to the next, and the latest is not listed apparently. I moved around only to stay with my ex who I very much loved.

Whether I respect US laws is another question. I am leaving because I have a job in Germany now and because the alternatives are all worse. But I do not respect the US laws as a stable thing even if I am no citizen. I will fight on, just because I am a custodial parent of a citizen. In that way, I do not respect those laws!

And that goes for my respect for other countries, including Germany, as well. This is a human rights issue just like any other.

Should the US really be proud to also treat foreigners horribly? That is a lame excuse! I thought you are the greatest country in the world?

I do not care for the citizenship. Just an unrestricted permanent work permit with retirement benefits! And just because I have a daughter here now. If you see this as bending of US laws to fit my circumstance, then be it that way. However, I have not planned it that way. The US government is responsible for ripping apart international families due to shortsighted immigration policies or lack thereof. This doesn't even have to do with birth-right citizenship, as without US citizenship my daughter would still be in this country due to her mom, and me separated from her.

If you really believe in globalization crap then open the borders for people as well! Make bilateral agreements at least, between nations on friendly terms with each other.

Dirk

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 14, 2007 at 18:23:27 said:

Dear Readers -

I thank you for reading, and for thoughtful comments.

Too bad, deciding on a different country to go to is not an option anymore for me.

Now before I move to packing up, and after I have had for a last time my daughter with me, please allow me to respond to various thoughts expressed by readers.

I certainly can understand both the hatred against illegal immigrants, and the hatred against corporations abusing the strongly reglemented legal pathways.

Neither can be solved by the simplistic "kick them all out" solution. I guarantee you if you were to do that to all the illegals, it will end up in a civil war.
Round all up in concentration camps! Fly them to Mexico - and what if Mexico refuses to take them back? Kids with parents deported roaming the land stealing and killing?

I am already kicked out in a way. So I won't take an American Ph.D.'s position. Well, doesn't matter, not too many Americans go that path anyways. Smart, with science so badly funded.
I am not a Soil Scientist, btw. I am dealing with evil Evolutionary Biology! And I am an atheist. Quite many anti-immigration people rather see such science shut down anyways.

There is an unholy alliance between the western societal forces that rip apart families (causing high divorce rates) and the people disrespecting basic human rights in this age of "globalization". Yet,
this globalization is only for the enrichment of certain people; seems like a country ripe for a revolution. Yes, both the American worker and immigrant / temporary guest fall victim. And in the end, the US itself will go down the tube.

Even as I leave, I will not shut up to attack US immigration policies.

In 2001 I felt much, much sympathy with this country. It then squandered sympathies the world over, and so it does squander mine. I would have liked to even help defend the US against the Islamic fundamentalist brood (the Reagan-sponsored fundamentalists) that shares much of
its zealotry with quite some fundamentalist group in the US, or with German Neonazis for that matter. In Germany, I will surely not join the one outspoken Antiamerican group, those idiot Neonazis.
But I will keep attacking aspects of US politics! I just take myself that right as someone who has a US daughter, as someone whou has lived a while in the US (9 years), and indeed, I did pay my US taxes.

The UN convention on the Rights of the Child (www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/k2crc.htm) partly states that parents and children shall not be separated. At the UNHCR website, I checked that the USA and Somalia
did not ratify it. What a coincidence - a failed nation and ...? There are also countries that declare they feel not bound by this, as they reserve the right to deport and treat foreigners differently. These
countries are: Korea, Germany, and Japan. And there is a few whose divorce laws are held against it. In all, about 10 pariah nations, including my own Germany, who at least has stopped deporting parents 2 years ago as an organization in Germany
confirmed to me (in German: www.fluechtlingsrat-nrw.de/2259/index.html). Many an American divorced parent felt the wrath of Japanese courts, too (www.international-divorce.com/d-japan.htm, www.crnjapan.com/en/).

Of course, the bluntest of this handful of pariah countries is the US! Well in line with their despicable treatment of the UN and international treaties, they rather did not even ratify. Well, noone dare to drag Americans before international courts.
But maybe I agree with you who wish to abolish the UN. That paper tiger. Too bad the German Nazis brought down the first model and I say so as a German. I think that there should be a new world body, and if the US doesn't want to be part of it, so be it.

US legal immigration policy is ripe with human rights abuses! I am not just for father's rights but human rights - so this might interest you as well:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26586-2004Dec1.html
www.tonkon.com/news/dspArticle.cfm?news_stand_id=AB1165C8-9050-48C1-B6189A59DFE34EB0

PS - It was a provocation suggesting the removal of my ex spouse as well, and a provocation of me thinking I would kidnap my own child. I hoenstly sometimes think though I should swim back to the US because illegals have it better perhaps. That would trigger the end of my scientific work though, and would make me an easy target.

I am gonna blog (and later collect politician's responses). A start is done here:
immigrationparentsreform.blogspot.com/

Dirk

---

Dirk Krueger on Feb 13, 2007 at 17:25:43 said:

Dear Colleen -

you say \\\"Temporary Visa means \\\"Temporary\\\". Go Home.\\\".

I knew it was temporary. I knew I was stupid enough to become a scientist and H1B slave. I should have known I have no right becoming a parent because of those choices. I knew I will be paying taxes, and even higher taxes in Wisconsin (because I am not a Wisconsin resident according to state law). Will have no benefits at all ever.

But now?

How about I kidnap my little girl? And then be arrested for kidnapping a US citizen?

I think there is a better way. I am doing it now. And I will stop at nothing to influence US politicians. I am the custodial parent of a US citizen. And the US is a barbaric nation if it denies human rights.

---

boohoo said:

"You should have checked our immigration laws before you started catting around. Anchor babies only work for illegal aliens. You are right though -- the U.S. doesn\'t need more PhDs, so your departure will be good news for the American PhDs that couldn\'t find a job because of you. So why isn\'t the German government allowing you to bring your daughter there?"

Have you ever considered that this is a human rights issue. Are you accusing me of trying to steal work from Americans, and having tried to get an anchor baby?

I am sorry, indeed I could care less about the US if I did not have a daughter here. And besides, I am a divorced father, and my ex stays with our daughter. So therefore there is no need to talk of Germany letting her in. She may apply for German citizenship, but getting her there would require me kidnapping her. I am angry enough about the hardships destroying my own dreams, but my daughter deserves both parents. Any nation that does not value this most fundamental of human rights to me is a sham.

---

PS - this can be combined. No, I am not in the "programmers guild". I have experience in an array of biological research, and I am co-author on a Science paper.

Dear Kim -
you ask:
"The guy does not say what critical research he was working on. Did he invent a cure for cancer? What did he really contribute to the U.S. during his several years here?"
No, I did not cure cancer. It is also hardly possible given my speciality, and given the funding situation and H1B restrictions. The point is - why does a US citizen (my daughter) have to suffer? Why not even let me work at BurgerKing for a while, to support her and see her? I have a scientist job coming up in Germany now, but will fight on. And Germany has similar, cruel laws ... which also needs change.

---

Wikipedia entries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antje_Croton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmeret_Yosef

---
Wkipedia:

Legal immigration problems


Revision as of 22:36, 28 December 2006

In the USA, there is currently great inequality in illegal immigration and legal immigration, with legal immigrants of high skill facing multi-year bureaucratic backlogs at USCIS. With family and employment - based immigration, errors can result in tragic mistreatments of immigrants, spouses and children, even affecting US citizens. After divorce or death of a family member deportation also can occur. In order to avoid slipping into illegality, family members can be forced indirectly or directly to abandon their families. Unfortunately, the United States, as the only signee of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child other then Somalia, has not ratified the convention guaranteeing children regular contact to parents. It can be argued that illegal immigration and immigration from Latin America needs to be balanced by highly skilled immigrants from developed countries.

Wikipedia links

Immigration Voice, Asmeret Yosef case, Antje Croton case

http://boards.msn.com/MSNBCboards/thread.aspx?BoardID=474&ThreadID=157167&BoardsParam=Page%3d28%26HIPDelay%3d1%26PostID%3d4142450

No comments: